Naomi Benaron



Remembrance




Before I left Kigali

I went to the Genocide Memorial

to buy a purple bracelet



It was just before a grenade

exploded at the entrance

killing a policeman



My friends and I might

have passed the man

who tossed it –



I might have even waved

muraho through the window

at the moment our paths crossed



I said goodbye to my friends

and got on the plane

before any of us knew



The bracelet says

Never Again



It goes well with my green one

that says Darfur: Not on My Watch



But it is on my watch

And it is Again


and Again
............................ and Again.










Naomi Benaron’s short story collection, Love Letters from a Fat Man won the 2006 G. S. Sharat Chandra Prize for fiction. Her novel was short-listed for the 2008 Bellwether Prize. Her poetry has appeared in Cutthroat Journal and Flashquake. She writes, teaches, and protests in Tucson Arizona.


(author retains copyright)